I had a very BAD personal experience last Christmas with my dog, Chloe that landed her in the ER veterinary clinic with an expensive bill. She had been fed a slice of turkey meat from one of my family members and within hours started to display gastrointenstial discomfort. Fast forward 12 more hours she was throwing up and pooping blood. Within that small slice it must have had small bone slivers throughout and tore up her stomach and intestines. After multiple xrays and a thorough exam with medications she was thankfully okay. We also dodged surgery due to the smaller size of the bones as they did not obstruct any vital organs. However let this be a lesson to you... most dogs are not that lucky!
And even for those of you that are careful with removing the bones there are also concerns with animals getting pancreatitis when feeding the the skin or fatty parts of the turkey. This causes the pancreas a vital organ that produces enzymes to help in digestion of food. These enzymes helps break down food to allow the absorption of nutrients. But when pets eat high-fat foods, it triggers the pancreas to produce and release a large amount of enzymes.
Subsequently, the pancreas malfunctions and the enzymes end up digesting the pancreas itself. Clinical signs of pancreatitis include severe abdominal pain, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, and depression. Pancreatitis may occur as a single episode or a recurring event. Most cases need immediate medical attention as pets can quickly develop potentially fatal side effects such as dehydration, shock, blood clotting disorders, heart arrhythmia, and liver or kidney damage. If you suspect your pet has pancreatitis, take them to the vet immediately. Overweight dogs are even more at risk. So please be mindful this season!
I hope all of you have happy and safe holidays and consider replacing your turkey this year with great cruelty-free alternatives such as TOFURKY, GARDEIN or FIELD ROAST and for your doggies there is an amazing alternative to bones that are dear antlerz : splinter-free, cruelty-free and no-mess!